Call For Creative Operators
New Opportunity For Food/Retail/Creative Operators in Spring 2021
- Six small-format spaces available, from 170SF to 256SF
- Short-term leases of 1-3 years
- Fully built out “white box” spaces
- Seeking food and beverage operators, small shops, makers and artisans
The Speedway is a new collaborative marketplace opening along the Charles River in Brighton, Massachusetts in Spring 2021. This vibrant, dynamic community space will be a spot to enjoy local food and drink, work and create, shop for artisan goods, and gather with family and friends in a safe and healthy environment. It will also host a taproom, brewery, and year-round biergarten for the Speedway’s anchor retail tenant, Notch Brewing, who has built a loyal following over the years from their original Salem, Massachusetts location.
The large outdoor courtyard and range of retail space types make The Speedway an ideal venue for COVID-safe shopping, dining, and gathering. With an opening target of spring 2021, the Speedway team will monitor the latest public health conditions and guidelines from state and city officials ahead of and throughout its opening season. Social distancing, occupancy restrictions, and face covering requirements at the time of opening will be taken seriously, mandated, and enforced to ensure that customers, vendors, and employees are safe and comfortable.
Originally built in 1899, The Speedway was once the headquarters for two of Boston’s most popular gathering spots, the Charles River Reservation and a mile-long racecourse that ran along its southern shore. The historic buildings and its courtyards are being revitalized into a source of year-round discovery, where users can reconnect to the broad recreational amenities of the Charles River and beyond.
The Speedway is seeking food and beverage operators, small shops, makers and artisans for six, small-format retail spaces. Located on Western Avenue in Boston’s Brighton neighborhood, the retail spaces range in size from 170SF to 256SF. The spaces face out to an expansive, pedestrian-only courtyard populated with other tenants, creative business offices, and Notch Brewing’s taproom and biergarten.
Architectural Historical Foundation (AHF), the non-for-profit developer and landlord, is offering the spaces on the following high-level terms, broadly defined:
- Terms: 1- or 3-year
- Public Opening: Spring 2021 target (occupancy by tenant in early 2021)
- Delivery Condition: Operator to occupy a “white box” fitted with HVAC, water and utility sink, electricity and lighting (4 spot lights and 1 pendant light installed), wiring for network connectivity, finished floors, a complete storefront, exterior signage, and an opportunity for your brand’s logo on the rear wall of the space
- Furnishings: Operator will supply their furniture, shelving, displays, and inventory
- Site Management: Landlord will provide site-wide maintenance (including snow, trash, landscaping), seasonal event programming, and social media marketing for overall The Speedway project
- Utilities: Broadband access provided by landlord, contracted by tenant; individually metered utilities
- Site Facilities Outside Tenant Premises: Tenant patrons are provided use of the furnished courtyard and restrooms. Tenants are provided access to non-public restrooms.
The square footage and approximate monthly, year-one gross rents for each space follows:
|SPACE||SF||MONTHLY GROSS RENT|
The Speedway is seeking food and beverage operators, creative retail operators, and brands who have demonstrated business and retail experience. We’re seeking operators who either make, refurbish or fabricate products, or highlight uniquely made goods from others (food, beverage, artisan products, and otherwise); operators who offer space for creation, collaboration, curation, and retail sales; and operators who provide unique services to the community. The Speedway will curate a varied selection of retailers who offer complimentary products or services with minimal overlapping merchandise.
The Speedway welcomes all operators and businesses at the Speedway. Special consideration will be given to chef/owners, artists, entrepreneurs, and businesses from the Allston/Brighton community and/or with a connection to the Charles River, and the Speedway is eager to receive submissions from women-owned businesses, minority-owned businesses, and business owners from under-represented communities.
Interested in becoming an operator at The Speedway?
Complete a Submission of Interest Form!
All interested operators should fill out a Submission of Interest Form. When electing a space preference, be aware that Space 6 is uniquely positioned for a quick service food operation that cooks on premises with minimal venting requirements.
All submissions will be reviewed on a rolling basis with license agreements extended to operators beginning in January 2021.
Fill in the form at the link below.
All dates are subject to change
October – December 2020: Socially-distanced site tours
November 2020 – January 2021: Select conversations with the Speedway team (scheduled at Speedway team’s discretion)
January – March 2021: License agreements extended
March – May 2021: Operator occupies space
May 2021 (target): Operators open to public
Due to increased interest, the Speedway team will host an additional socially-distanced tour for all interested operators in December. Social distancing, occupancy restrictions, and face covering requirements will be required and enforced to ensure that everyone feels safe and comfortable. During the tour, operators may see the current build-out status and ask questions about all aspects of the Speedway. There are multiple ways to tour the Speedway:
1. The Speedway project team will host a short in-person tour and Q&A session on Thursday, December 10, 2020. All attendees must register and sign a release in order to participate. Face coverings and social distancing practices are required at all times during site tours. Please rsvp through the Eventbrite link below. Before the event, you’ll receive entry details.
Instead of traditional leases, the Speedway will extend license agreements for either 1- or 3-year terms. Agreements to selected operators will be extended on a rolling basis.
If the Speedway team determines that your operation may not be a fit for one of the six spaces at this time, you’ll receive that notification beginning February 2021. With your permission, we would like to keep you on our email list for future opportunities.